Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Cabin in the Woods






















After eight years, Duane and I finally took a trip without the little ones. We are so grateful to my parents and Aunt Susan for taking the time to spend the weekend with the kids. It meant so much to us. We have done some over night get aways. But this time we had three days and two nights alone. I love my children more than life itself. But I truly believe that without a happy, healthy and fulfilling marriage, nothing else in life can be solid. I am so blessed to have that. But it takes dedication and hard work to maintain in our busy lives. Every married couple needs some time alone to have intimate and in depth conversations and to have the chance to rediscover one another and reconnect at a deeper level that we don't always have the time or opportunity to do. That was what our weekend in Gaitlynburg was all about. We were tucked away in an adorable, secluded cabin with the most breathtaking view! It was so quiet and peaceful. I felt like a kid at Christmas when we left on Saturday morning. We talked the entire 5 hour trip. That night we cooked dinner together, listened to music and enjoyed the freedom of not having to answer to anyone or meet numerous demands. On Sunday we decided to go indoor sky diving of all things! I was pretty skeptical about the whole things. But like so many times, Duane talked me into it and we had a blast. There's nothing like flying:) Later in the day the snow started really coming down. So we threw caution to the wind and went for a drive in the mountains. Duane found a great spot for some breathtaking pictures. We parked on the side of the road and heels and I I ventured with him into the woods. It was one of those moments in life that I really felt close to God. I could hear the snow falling and the creek tumbling along and all was calm. There are few too many moments of calm in my life being a working mom. I cherish that moment and was blessed to share it with my husband. That evening we enjoyed a nice dinner and came back to our cabin to find we had lost power. Luckily, we were upgraded to another cabin. Once I got past the few too many stuffed animal heads, we settled in for another relaxing night together. On our final day we went out to breakfast, did a little shopping and road a tram through the mountains. It was a bright sunny day and the snow glistened on the mountains. It was a fantastic end to a such a memorable trip. Although we enjoyed our time alone together, there was nothing like being welcomed home by our three little munchkins. We can't wait to take them there some day!

1 comment:

aunt susan said...

I already knew you had a great time but reading your blog and seeing the smiles on your faces just confirms how much you two love each other, and as always I enjoyed spending time with my nieces.