Monday, June 23, 2008

10th Anniversary









I can't believe that Duane and I have been married for 10 years! What's even more amazing is that we've been together for going on 18 years. I have done a lot of reminiscing over the past few weeks and I wanted to share our story. Even though most of you know it well. I always tell my students that you can read the same book over and over and still make a new discovery every time you read it. So here its goes! Our family relocated to Massillon when I was 10 because of my dad's job. At the time I was devastated to leave Steubenville, where most of my family was from. Later I realized it was the best thing that could have happened. My brother and I started at a Catholic school, St. Barbara's. I was in the 5th grade and Duane was in the 7th grade at the same school. Over the next two years, I knew his name but that was the extent of it. Eventually we went to different schools. My mom still has a video of a Christmas program from elementary school with both of us in it. I can't wait to show it to our girls. The summer before my sophomore year, I spent a lot of time at the local pool with my friends. At that time our high school started with the sophomore class. It was an important time for me. That summer I fell madly in love with a gorgeous life guard who looked vaguely familiar to me. His name was Duane Scott. I also found out he played football, first string of course and was a senior. I payed very close attention to his practice schedule so that I made sure to come to the pool when he worked. The funny thing is, I spent the entire summer drooling over him and never found the courage to even mutter a hello! He of course thought I was snobby. When in reality, I was totally lacking self-confidence. After school started, I went to ever game, including away games and followed him at a safe distance on my way to my English class every day. I can remember it like it was yesterday. He never noticed and I still couldn't open my mouth when he was close by. Finally one of my friends mentioned to him that I had a huge crush on him. His response was, "I think she hates me. She won't even look at me when I walk past her." I was devastated when I heard his response. I knew that drastic measures had to be taken. Every day before last period we passed in the hall. So when he started to walk past, I looked up and said, "Hi". The next day in that same hallway, he asked me out. I had to beg and plead with my parents to let me go because I was only 15 and I wasn't aloud to date until yet. I finally talked them into it with the stipulation that he had to come in and meet him. I was mortified that I had to ask him to be subjected to such a thing. He said he had planned on coming in and meeting them all along. I knew he was not your average guy. He opened the car door for me (and continued to do so for many years). I sat with my body pressed up against the door. I was so nervous. Throughout the night, I felt more and more comfortable. The night ended with a small kiss and a promise for another date. From then on we were inseparable until he left for UD 8 months later. Two years later I followed to Wright State. Five years later we were married on a beautiful June day. And now here we are 10 years, two houses and 3 kids later. Like every couple, we have had our highs and lows over the year. But the good times have drastically out weighed the bad. I think back to that shy sophomore girl with no self esteem and I still can't believe where I am today. When we met I had no idea who I was going to be or what directions I was going in. Duane was so encouraging and showed me all the great possibilities that my future held if I worked hard enough. He taught me so much. And he continues to do so every day that we are together. He has always been and will always be my hero and my greatest blessing. I have always said that I knew he was the one that summer at the pool. I am so grateful to look at him after all these years and still feel those same feeling. Words can not truly express the love I feel for him. Even though they are young, I tell our daughters that when they are old enough to get married, they need to marry a man that is as wonderful as their father. I hope and pray that they will be as blessed as I have been. Here are some then and now pictures. One is of us on duane's last day of high school, our wedding day and our 10th anniversary. No making fun of my poofy hair:)

3 comments:

Joey said...

What a beautiful love story! You two are perfect for one another. Love you both!

Anonymous said...

That almost made me cry!

aunt susan said...

Ilove you both this did make me cry and so nice to learn about you and duane, I can just picture in my mind you two just meeting, love this blog