Friday, July 4, 2008

First 5K today!




With every child, it is harder and harder to loose the baby weight. After Madison was born the weight came off with no effort. It took a little more effort with Molly. After Mallory it seemed like an impossibility. So finally 15 months after Mallory was born I decided to start doing something about it. I started out slow, riding my elliptical 3 times a week for a half an hour. Then I added a one hour fitness class once a week. Then I added going to the gym once a week. I was getting in shape and losing inches, but not loosing much weight. I got over it and started to enjoy the fact that I looked and felt better. Not to mention I was down a size. After the recommendation of some friends who are in fabulous shape, I started running. For a year and a half Joey and I have talked about trying to run a 5K. But we never got around to it. So we decided to give it a try. I used to think runners were crazy. It seemed like torture. Then I got a taste of the adrenaline rush and I was hooked! I started slow. It took me almost 45 minutes to make it 3 miles. That was with a lot of walking. Gradually, I could run the whole thing in a little under 36 minutes. I really have enjoyed putting on my head phones on and taking some time for myself. Duane and I have run together a few times. He puts up with my slow pace:) Well today Joey and I finished the Americana 5K in Centerville in 31 and a half minutes! What a feeling! Jodee, her husband and Duane ran too. Being experience runners including marathons and half marathons, they obviously finished ahead of Joey and I, but were there to cheer us on to the finish. I couldn't have done it with out Joey running next to me and all of Duane and Jodee's support over the past months. Maybe next time we can make it under 30 minutes! We'll see! Happy Fourth of July! It sure is a happy one for me!

2 comments:

Joey said...

I couldn't have done it without you either...THANKS! It was great to accomplish this goal with one of my very best friends! We'll be under 30 min. next time...September?

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! I am so proud of you. There was always a little runner inside of you!