Monday, February 25, 2008

Hobbies


A few weeks ago my husband expressed some concern for me because I don't have hobbies. Of course I immediately got defensive and started listing all of the things I do on a daily basis to keep the family going. It was a long list. In the limited amount of spare time that I have, I don't want to do anything other than sit on the couch and watch mindless t.v. I see Duane's point. It is important to have time for yourself. But right now I feel like I am doing exactly what I want to be doing. The time with our kids is so brief and precious. I don't want to miss a thing. My next thought was that I was in some way flawed because I don't have hobbies. Typical Amy fashion:) So I started thinking back through my life and how I chose to spend my time. Extra curricular activities were a staple of the high school years. I think that's the case for most people. I ran track, was the editor of my yearbook and was involved in pep club and choir. In college my life consisted of sleep, studying, going to class, working to pay my way through school and a little partying here and there of course. Then I graduated, got married, started teaching, bought a house and started a family. This is not a criticism, just and observation and interpretation of how I see things. I think when a woman becomes a mother, she freely evolves into something new and different, letting go of parts of her past. She trades her interests. But men seem to need to hold on to things, like certain hobbies and interests because they define them in some way. I know, I know. There is that fact that men actually enjoy those hobbies to. I get that. Time for yourself is crutial. My so called hobbies are things that Duane introduced me to like biking, hiking, skiing and boating. Now, I don't do these things just because he likes them and I don't do them on a regular basis, but I really do enjoy doing them. Now, if sleep, massages and pedicures are considered hobbies, I'm right on board with that. I guess until then, I'll stick with being a wife and mommy, exercising and reading a little and blogging. Good enough for me!

2 comments:

Samantha said...

This blog is killing me - it makes me miss you so much. I wish we were back in the days of going to Panera after school with a tiny little Maddy saying "hot! hot!" while pointing at the fire. Miss you so much.

Amy said...

Right back at ya! I miss those days too and you. I hate that you are so far away. I wish all the time that you guys will end up closer to Dayton.